450gr beef flank steak, cubed or sliced
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tbsp + ¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
A quarter of onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup light soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
Scallions (for garnish), chopped
White sesame seed (for garnish)
- Slice the beef steak against the grain about 1/4 inch thick or you can cut it into cube as the size of a monopoly dice (or a bit bigger is ok).
- Mix the beef with the corn starch until well coated.
- Heat ¼ cup of vegetable oil in a frying pan, fry the beef mixture until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, onion, and ginger and sautee for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, water to the pan and let it come to a boil and slightly thickened.
- Add the beef steak back in, stir well, and simmer until the sauce thickens (usually about 1-1.5 minutes).
- Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seed on top, serve immediately.