Hummus is still rare to find in Indonesia, even in big city like Jakarta. I’ve once found hummus in one of premium supermarket, K*mchicks, but the price is ridiculous. One jar of hummus (maybe around 340gr) cost about Rp330.000,- … WTF???!!! Given fact like that, I’m determined to make my own hummus. Googling to find hummus recipe without tahini, and stumbled to this recipe ….
I’ll repost the recipe with a few adjustment on my own.
- 2 whole red bell peppers
- One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (optional). I made it without using tahini and it’s still taste great.
- Half of a large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, depending on taste